Coshocton Band Pays Tribute to Beatlemania

Cyrus Larntz, Staff

Eleanor Rigby. Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts’ Club Band. Yesterday. The Magical Mystery Tour. Ring any bells?  

Maybe that list did, maybe it didn’t. All of these are the titles of popular Beatles songs. They’re also the titles of this year’s Coshocton High School Marching Band’s competition show songs. 

The marching band is doing a show entirely based on The Beatles’ work, and they’re more prepared than ever for their competitions this year. The band is ready to play all four parts, and will do so at each of their competitions this year. 

The songs featured in this show include selections from a variety of the Beatles’ albums.  

The first song, a combination of the hits Magical Mystery Tour and Lady Madonna, features punchy phrases from the drumline and brass sections. 

The second song, a revolutionary hit from the album RevolverEleanor Rigby, features a unique blend of the past’s musical influences, along with an odd rhythm within the beats.  

The third song, a combination of the songs Blackbird and Yesterday, is admittedly short, but features a solo by junior Bladen Johnson. Its lyrical nature provides a very natural progression throughout the song, helped by the fact that it is played at the slowest tempo.  

The fourth song, a combination of Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts’ Club Band and The End, is a very fast, punchy song, accented by alternating bursts of music from the brass sections and the woodwinds. 

Mr. Hardesty, director of the band, thinks that they should do well. After all, “it’s the first time we’ve marched a full show at Philo in years,” he said, at a Thursday night practice. Unfortunately, the band received a score of 3 at Philo Band Challenge on September 9, something that hasn’t happened in years. 

In order to qualify for the state competition, the band needs to score a 1 in five categories (Categories include Percussion, Auxiliary, Musical Performance, General Effect, Visual Performance, and Visual Effect, with two judges covering each category except Percussion. Usually, though, the second Auxiliary judge will cover the front ensemble.).  

The band scored straight threes at Philo, with the exception coming from the percussion judges (counting the second Auxiliary), who disagreed on whether they earned a 2 or a 4. Either way, it rounds out to an overall 3 for percussion.  

Get out there, go see the band. Remaining competition dates are October 14, October, 21, and October 28, respectively. The locations of those competitions will be at Maysville, River View, and New Philadelphia, respectively. If you want to go to the River View competition, be forewarned: it’s a morning competition, whereas the others are in the evening. 

And if you can’t make it to a competition, there are always the football games. While you may not be able to see the whole show, you should be able to see most of it. Remaining dates include September 22 (played against New Lexington at Stewart Field), September 29 (played at Lucas Local), October 6 (played against Philo at Stewart Field), October 13 (played against Meadowbrook at Stewart Field), October 20 (played at Maysville), and October 27 (played at River View).