Leaving a Legacy

Photo Credit: Google Image

Photo Credit: Google Image

Aaron Getchey, Contributor

The senior class of 2017 has come and gone and with these few weeks left I’m more worried about what we’re leaving behind than what the future holds.

If you ask any teacher they will give you seventeen different ideas, but it’s always about how far our teams made it, how extreme the dances were, or how quick it went by.

The same isn’t true for the underclassmen. My true question is if our class will even be remembered or not.

You’re in high school for four years of your life. Four years is nothing compared to the 84 the Department of Health says the average human lives, yet any time you talk to someone they say high school was the best years of their life with a ton of great memories.

Throughout your freshman year all you can think about is how cool it’ll be being a senior. The same is true of your sophomore year, your junior year comes around and the only thing you’re thinking about is one more year and I’m gone.

Then it happens. You became a senior in high school and one of two things happen. Either you open your eyes to how hard it really is to sit down and plan your future when you’re just turning 18, or you start the championship celebration on day one and coast through the year, but that’s all seniors, so what’s the big deal?

The class after us will do the same thing and the classes then on. But what if they didn’t have to?

As seniors we have a knowledge in knowing what the classes after us are going to go through so what if we helped?

I myself—being one of the least school involved seniors at Coshocton High School—wish to be remembered for being a member of the senior class that changed this school.

I truly believe that by merely sitting down with the class after us telling them everything we the class of 2017 have done and went through to become the graduates we are, we could motivate them and prepare them to be more successful.

A majority of our class are hardworking dedicated students who are just trying to make the plans they made come true and I’m sure would love to talk about it, and for those of us who aren’t can easily talk about some of the many hardships the early championship celebration presented them with.

Well Class of 2017, we did it.

We are here just days away from our last time walking in these halls as students. I wish all of us the best of luck, that are dreams come true and we all live great lives, but most of all I wish that some of us would just sit down and take the role as leaders and offer words of wisdom to the many coming in next year to fill our old desk.

A majority of you won’t care at all whether or not the school football team makes it as far as they did this year, or if marching band does as good as ours, or even if this building falls to the ground and that’s being honest.

Sadly even less of you will read this article or take it serious coming from me but please if you have even one friend that’s a junior take the time to offer them some advice you’d be surprised how much it might help.